China is loosening it’s regulation on one child restrictions. Great. But let’s look at the issue of population explosion. There is really not a good solution to it because no one likes the options. Let’s take a look:
1) Kill people – no one likes this option. Even during war, it is not a positive topic. We gasp when we hear the numbers of people killed by storms, earthquakes, disease, etc.
2) Euthanasia – see #1. Who decides who lives and dies?
3) Abortion – see #1. Just because you don’t know the person doesn’t justify killing them.
4) Forced abortion/sterilization – see #1, #2, and #3. Why don’t we just bring Hitler back?
5) Limited birth – see China and how that is working. How many girl babies were killed vs boys?
6) Education – now there’s an idea only it may take 100 years to overcome society norms. Notice it is the developing countries that are the problem. This is another reason to not like #1 – #5: Do we really want the “civilized” countries telling the “uncivilized” countries what to do?
7) Free birth control and education – maybe. It’s a start. But free will and social norms are still in place.
8) I’m out of ideas. Maybe you should think about it.